If in all ideology men and their circumstances appear upside-down as in a camera obscura, this phenomenon arises just as much from their historical life-process as the inversion of objects on the retina does from their physical life-process.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Useless Datum

There is a website that supposedly uses facial recognition software to predict the child of two parents. However creepy that is--and that at the moment 122943 people have virtually mated with Miley Cyrus--I like creepy things. I especially like messing with creepy things, so I put in pictures of my two beautiful dogs.





This is what I got:



Now this is obviously a useless datum, but it reminds me of a Haraway article I read some years ago because I thought it was about vampires. I think it is called "universal donors in a vampire [culture?]." It was not especially about vampires: like so many articles it used vampires (or zombies--they are endlessly exploited) as a metaphor, disappointing me greatly. What I recall were some pictures of "Eve" a proportional composite of the racial/ethnic groups of the whole freaking world, suggesting both an origin and a telos for humanity.

What if we factored in companion species? Theoretically it is funky: if you think about it a little less abstractly it is very creepy. "Make Me Babies" doesn't really recognize the facial structures of dogs, but apparently found some cues, some data, to take into its logic and create an image. I suppose it is designed to create a basically human organism. People could get angry if their predicted progeny was Rosemary's baby. The system error seems to be that nonhumans do count as data for the program even if a human outcome is predetermined.

I tried to make a baby out of Marx and Nietzsche to wrap this up but my computer or the program refuses to do it. I don't know if this is philosophically motivated or just homophobic.

1 comment:

  1. The article is a chapter in her Modest Witness. And that is weird, and creepy. Though, I guess it is nice they allow dog pictures. Or at least cute dog pictures.

    My partner thinks the reason it wouldn't take marx and Nietzsche is the photos were in B&W. I think it had too much awesome german facial hair for a mere computer program to figure out.

    ReplyDelete